Learn how to use the ChartTrader to analyze, monitor and trade from a single chart window.
Access the ChartTrader
- Open a chart in the Trader Workstation
- Access the Global Configuration feature by selecting Edit from the dropdown menu
- Go to the left-hand side and click on Settings in the charts section
- Enable the ChartTrader option by checking the corresponding box
- Before you close the Global Configuration:
Take note that there are more ChartTrader choices available lower on the page.
Hot Buttons Configuration: Access the Hot Buttons configuration through the View menu on any chart. Under Order Display, you can specify the types of orders to be displayed in ChartTrader and the activity panel.
Advanced Configuration Features: Once comfortable with ChartTrader, explore advanced configuration features that can be added to your charts. Click the plus sign under ChartTrader to access the settings hub, where you can customize the following:
- Hotkeys: Configure keyboard and mouse shortcuts for efficient navigation.
- Buttons: Activate the buttons panel on the chart and customize it by adding or editing buttons. For example, the blue buy button lets you set an entry price line using the mouse.
- Quote Panel: Adjust quote panel column headers and colors. Add Unrealized P&L by clicking apply. Enable it under the View menu if not visible.
- Order Columns and Trade Columns: Customize columns by adding or removing order columns. For instance, add the Filled column by clicking apply.
- Turning off Buttons: If you want to disable the buttons panel, navigate to the chart’s Order Panel below it. Use the wrench icon in the upper right corner to access the configuration menu for Trade or Order Column display. You can also collapse and restore the Buttons or Orders Panel using the up and down arrows in the upper left corner.
- Turning off ChartTrader: Access the View dropdown and find the checkbox next to ChartTrader. Deselect it to deactivate ChartTrader for each chart panel. If you prefer to keep ChartTrader enabled, explore other menu items for further customization.
Creating orders with buy and sell buttons
- Click buy or sell buttons in the Buttons Panel to enable order creation.
- A dashed blue line appears, indicating a potential entry point.
- Position the line near or away from the trading price.
- Left-click to finalise order placement; the blue line turns solid.
- Transmit and Cancel buttons appear next to the line.
- Cancel unwanted orders by clicking Cancel.
- To cancel an active order, use the cancellation option.
- For execution, click Transmit on the left of the buy line or use the Transmit button in the Order Panel.
- Review details in the Order Confirmation window; click Transmit to execute.
- Adjust the blue buy line’s position by hovering and dragging.
- Reposition the blue buy line by hovering and dragging for entry price adjustment.
- Follow the same process for placing sell orders, conveniently observing both buy and sell actions.
Modify your order using two methods:
- Order Panel: Adjust parameters like limit price, quantity, order type, or time in force directly from the Order Panel.
- Chart Interaction: Right-click the order line in the chart. Choose Modify from the ensuing menu, which opens the existing order ticket for changes.
After modifying, finalize the process by selecting Preview, Accept, or Transmit to promptly update your order.
- Right-click on the blue buy line and choose the double arrowhead.
- Access the Attach menu for additional elements including Profit-taking, Stop orders, and Bracket.
- Two child orders appear, a profit-taking sell order above and a sell stop order below the parent buy order.
- Adjust limit prices in the order entry panel or on the chart before transmitting.
- Bracket portions activate after parent order fills.
- Explore additional Hot Buttons in Global Configuration.
- Available buttons like Cancel All and Close Position could be valuable.
- Configure Alerts using the provided button.
- If you have open positions for the security displayed in the chart, review them by clicking the Portfolio tab in the Order Panel.
All products are available for trading through ChartTrader.
Although it is not necessary to subscribe to real-time market data, we recommend to request it. Therewith you are enabled to access real time charts and quotes to improve your trading experience.
Learn here to to request real-time market data.
The SMART charting examines and compares market data from various trading venues for a contract and presents the most advantageous quotes.
To make use of the SMART charts for your trading approach, it is essential to activate real-time market data subscriptions for all exchanges where your financial instruments is being traded.
By utilizing a Directed Chart, one can visually represent market data sourced from a specific Exchange. The primary marketplace for a product usually offers the highest liquidity and trading volume, resulting in the most favorable quotes. If you subscribe to the market data for that specific venue, the resulting Directed Chart will be fully populated with up-to-date information and will refresh automatically.
- Type the contract symbol in a watchlist and press Enter on your keyboard.
- If the item Stock (Directed) is not visible in the contract selection menu, click the small down arrow at the bottom to reveal hidden menu items, and then select it.
- The Exchange selection screen will appear. Choose either the main Exchange for the product or the Exchange for which you have an active live market data subscription. After making your selection, click OK.
- A new Directed Ticker line will appear in your watchlist. It will display the contract symbol followed by the Exchange you chose, preceded by the @ sign. Now right click on this directed ticker line and choose Chart > New Chart.
- Someone will display the chart. On the left side of the toolbar, after the contract symbol, you will see the Exchange you selected with the @ sign. This sign indicates that this is a Directed Chart.